Spend a Day with the Devil
Whether you're visiting Tasmania or are a local with an interest in native carnivores, you can support The Carnivore Conservancy by joining our research team for a day to observe our fieldwork. You'll see the iconic and endangered Tasmanian devil up close and watch a professional zoologist handle several devils. (We average 12 captures per day at many of our sites.) If you're lucky, we might also capture a spotted-tailed quoll, the devil's smaller and more elusive cousin. After collecting biological samples and a range of data, we release each animal back into the wild.
If you prefer, you can use your own vehicle. Most of our study sites can be negotiated with a 2-wheel-drive car, although road quality is poor in places and there may be occasions when you'll need to walk a short distance to a trap site rather than drive. (When you make a booking, we can advise you about the road quality at the particular site you'll be visiting. If you're driving a rental car, be sure to check with the agency that it's permissible to drive on unsealed roads and tracks.) Alternatively, at an additional cost, we can provide a dedicated 4-wheel-drive vehicle and driver for the day.
If you provide your own vehicle, your Day with the Devil includes:
- Morning and afternoon tea and a picnic luncheon
- Professional zoologist as your trip leader
- Small group size (maximum 4 people)
- Souvenir memory stick with photographs from the day, including shots of you alongside devils being released
- 20% discount on souvenir merchandise
If we provide a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and driver, the package also includes:
- Stanley or Smithton hotel pickup (7:00 a.m.) and drop-off (usually late afternoon or early evening)
- Transportation to, from and around the study site, with no need to walk into any trap locations
If you provide your own vehicle, the cost of your Day with the Devil is:
- US$190 for 1 person
- US$310 for 2 people (US$155 per person)
- US$390 for 3 people (US$130 per person)
- US$480 for 4 people (US$120 per person)
The cost of a dedicated 4-wheel-drive vehicle and driver for the day is US$280 for the group.
Prices are effective through December 31, 2017.
To inquire about the Day with the Devil package or to make a booking, contact us using this form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Channing releasing devil: Photo © S. Adamczek 2013.
Devil close-up: Photo © M. Parrott 2014.